Ark Country Store

Ag/Timber Number Renewal

Tractor in a field on a Maryland farm at sunsetIt’s time to renew your Ag/Timber number!  State law, requires farmers and ranchers claiming agricultural exemptions to register with the Comptroller to obtain Ag/Timber Number.  Farmers, ranchers and timber operators cannot purchase qualifying items tax free without a current Ag/Timber Number.

Renewal begins in October. To apply online, click here.  Applicants who apply online will receive a registration number immediately. To receive an application by fax, call 1-800-531-1441.

Who is eligible for the new Ag/Timber Number?

Anyone engaged in the production of agricultural or timber products for sale in the regular course of business may complete an application for Ag/Timber Number, including:

  • farmers and ranchers who raise agricultural products to sell to others;
  • persons engaged in aquaculture and apiculture; (i.e., commercial fish farms or beekeepers);
  • custom harvesters;
  • persons engaged in agricultural aircraft operations, as defined by 14 C.F.R. Section 137.3 (crop dusting);
  • commercial nurseries engaged in fostering growth of plants for sale (i.e., growing stock from seed or cuttings, replanting seedlings in larger containers); and
  • timber producers, including contract lumberjacks.